Thursday, November 15, 2007

IB Dysfunctional Diversity

IB kids are a pretty diverse bunch and we all take it in stride. Of course, for IB kids, the definition of “stride” is something along the lines of “skip-hop-crawl-stumble-halt-sprint”. So when I say we take our diversity in stride, what I really mean is that we have forged an obscene, tolerant, offensive, and loving bond based on it. Like I mentioned earlier, IB kids are close enough and intelligent enough to come up with plenty of in-jokes and labels that seem terribly off-color to an uninitiated regular but are everyday banter to us.

~Like the time Stealth and a friend made a ton of paper airplanes and threw them at a Japanese girl on Pearl Harbor Day, asking her “how do you like it?”
~Or the claim that our IB class has “two real Jews” made by combining the four “half-Jews”.
~We’ve known each other for 4+ years and yet we all continually mix up the names of two of the Indian boys (who are referred to collectively as “The Indians”). We also can’t get straight the similar names of a girl from Afghanistan and Goa.
~The “matching factor”, which means that the entire class is going to insist that people will make a good couple if they are both the same color.
~People who’ve known each other for 4+ years being shocked every time a black girl says she is Jewish.
~Constant harassment of one kid for rides, paper, gum, etc. because he is “loaded”.
~Insistence after the mock trial that I become an on-call lawyer for one of the Indian boys because “he’s brown and could get arrested any minute!”
~We have a girl who’s a real big feminist, so Stealth enjoys making posters for class presentations about how women belong in the kitchen. The boys will also ask each other ~“Hey, you know what’s a great joke? Women’s rights.” Once I edited her paper and she had stapled the pages all messed up so I wrote “as a woman, you should have better secretarial skills! These pages are all out of order!” She was going to harm me, so I told her Stealth told me to write it.
~“Of course Rubix is brilliant. He’s Asian.”
~“How do you have a C in [class]? [Teacher] is [ethnicity] and so are you!”
But then again, it’s not all one-sided. I learned the hard way that if an Indian kid tells you something in Hindi to go say to the other Indian kids, it’s probably not “Can I borrow some paper please?”

The cool thing is that we all think it’s funny and none of it is out of malice. The other cool thing is that we stay really far away from the real racism we heard around us, which where we live is mostly directed towards Hispanics and Muslims.

IN OTHER NEWS:
I pressed the [submit] button on my college application to my dream college, Haverford! Scariest moment of my life. Wish me luck!

Me: Frenchie, your backpack looks all misshapen.
Frenchie: That’s because of the stuff that I just put in it.
Me: …I know that. I’m not an idiot.
Frenchie: Then how come you said something so obvious? “Your backpack looks like it has stuff in it.” /“That’s because it does!”/ “Well duh, I’m not dumb!” That’s the conversation we just had.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

:[ i get left out of the ethnic jokes. but i get slammed in the retarded jokes, so it's alright.

also, i get slammed in the best friends jokes, cause mine is you.

oh! burn! (insert aloe vera stock here)

:D

Companionable Ills said...

Well considering you're blue-eyed and somewhat blond, I don't know if I ought to spend so much time around you. Then again you're too dumb to really be that much of a threat.
Also, YOUR FACE.

There, happy? :)

Anonymous said...

oh, ecstatic.

:D

gotta tell you what retardney said tonight. lol

Anonymous said...

i'm somewhat saddened by the lack of friendly, humourous racial slurs against me. Blasted politically correct expectations!
(starting to sound like one of our teachers who constantly brings up the "I-hate-being-politically-correct" speech. Followed quickly by whipping out a map of Brazil. (neh-hehe).

Companionable Ills said...

They speak portugese in brazil. IT HAS NOUNS JUST LIKE ENGLISH OMG!

and come on, nahid. we all know you indian kids get it the worst. hahaha. oh, senora.
I guess it's just what's sensitive these days. hugs. i'll make fun of you any day!

Monica said...

hahee, i love you so much.

and liliy you crack me up!

Monica said...

'liliy' is for 'lily' in gibberish, if we're not clear, by the way.

Anonymous said...

Haha you make me sound really mean and sarcastic.

Which I probably am. Oh well. <3