Thursday, February 21, 2008

Let's Call It "Creativity"

I’ve mentioned before the saying we have that says “IB, therefore I BS”. Nowhere is this more evident than on CAS sheets hat we have to fill out and answer questions like “How can you apply what you have learned in other life situations?” and “What did you learn about yourself and others through this activity/project?” Most of the time we’re not talking about working on Nobel prizes but some sort of structured screwing-around that fits into a CAS category. So CAS sheets become our biggest BSing challenge. Here are some excerpts from my sheets:

On one about the Mock Trial team:

Q: Who helped you think about your learning during this activity/project?

CAS Sheet: My coach, HT, helped the team stay focused and committed.

Translation: My coach, HT, yelled at us for slacking off.


Q: How can you apply what you have learned in other life situations?

CAS Sheet: My ability to analyze arguments for different perspectives or fallacious logic helps when evaluating claims in literature, history, or the media.

Translation: Now that I treat everything like a trial, I’ve talked my way out of every family argument and threatened grounding!

 

Q: What might you do differently next time to improve?

CAS Sheet: I will spend more time examining exhibits and evidence in the context of the affidavits.

Translation: I will never again let those prissy private-school boys catch me up on a stupid trivial detail I forgot to memorize.

 

Q: What did you hope to accomplish through this activity/project?

CAS Sheet: …and to become part of a close and committed team.

Translation: There were cute upperclassmen on the team I wanted to meet.

 

On volunteering at a cultural festival:

Q: What did you learn about yourself and others?

CAS Sheet: I learned how independently my peers and I are capable of managing ourselves when presented with the opportunity to do so.

Translation: I learned how to deal when abandoned by the docents who were supposed to be supervising.

About tutoring the wrestlers:

Q: What did you learn about yourself/others?

CAS Sheet: I learned how to recognize and handle different perspectives and attitudes than my own.

Translation: I learned how to deal with misogyny, vulgar pick-up lines and having my butt smacked.


Q: How can you apply what you have learned in other life situations?

CAS Sheet: I can use my communication skills to reach out to people who see the world differently than I do.

Translation: I can refrain from smacking stupid sexists across the face when they try to talk to me. I could also try and pick up lesbians, I suppose.

About Speech and Debate:

Q: How successful were you in reaching your goals? What difficulties did you encounter and how did you overcome them?

CAS Sheet: A fluctuating tournament schedule made team-building a challenge but we overcame this by playing improv games at meetings and doing other things at tournaments to stay entertained and grow closer.

Translation: We got bored and screwed around and made lots of noise.

 

Q: How can you apply what you have learned in other life situations?

CAS Sheet: It also helps in general discussion among my peers to be able to quickly and clearly express myself and bring in relevant commentary.

Translation: It’s fun to win arguments and impress people!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

yeahhh, i've still got to do those. The most fun part is BSing CAS sheets for activities you did over a year ago...

YOU GOT YOUR ACTIONS HOURS DONE OMG! i'm kinda upset that your competitions count for action (no offense, but staying out til one at Denny's with your team is not physically active) and tennis doesn't count for creativity. But i wouldn't dare jeopardize your achievement by saying so to HT.

:D

Companionable Ills said...

haha, you make a good point and to be honest i'm not counting all those 18 hours worth of screwing around (over the past 2 years i think i can claim 50 just for running around and competing in rounds) - and yet while i see your point, the overwhelming exhaustion i feel after a tournament makes me not feel too bad about getting action for it. it's no sport but it is definitely intense. but it sucks that you can't get C for tennis. *hug*
you should see about getting a coupla hours for working on FTW with me!