Saturday, June 23, 2007

The Stories Behind All The Silly Nicknames

So, when I decided to start a blog about school halfway through the school year, I kind of didn’t realize that material would dry up a bit over summer vacation. So, to prevent this from completely dying (all two of you who actually check this for updates), this week, you get: The Stories Behind All The Silly Nicknames.

When I actually started getting serious about this, I realized that I needed to have actual Tucker-Max-(no link for you, I’m clean now)-type nicknames. And because I didn’t want to get jumped by a disgruntled fan who didn’t appreciate their nickname, I let people pick their own. That was a mistake.

The following conversation (via facebook) between me and Roi: (And no, we’re not actual girlfriends, that’s a JOKE. And yes, we do tend to refer to ourselves in third person. Don’t judge us.)

Me: You need a nickname. That's not "my girlfriend".
Roi: how about "amazing friend that is so awesome, you can't even put it into words without sounding ridiculous and using too many "a" adjectives
Me: your nicnkame makes the acronym "aftisoaycepiiwwsrautmaa". That's a bad thing.
Roi: 1)coolest acronym ever 2)extremely annoying for you to type (a definite plus) 3)please don't give me a mean one now, like retard on ice. (roi)i kinda like that. like a feminine version of roy.wowza, i'm cool.love, roi
Me: that's it; you're Roi on Compaionable Ills. What is it with three-letter two-vowel nicknames?
Roi: [Roi] wants to cry. only a little. i like roi. you better mention i named myself.

Side note: Roi is the only one of these that has caught on in real life. Ha ha.

Red Dog was less-than-thrilled about being associated with something as… well, you know… as an IB blog – until he realized he could pick any name and I had just agreed to call him that all over the internets. Tell the truth, I’m surprised - and eternally grateful - that he didn’t pick The Earthly Manifestation Of All That Is Manly And Hot (Temoatimah) or something like that. (No, Red Dog, you cannot change your nickname to that now.)

Geo and Meg are nick-nicknames – manipulations of their real-life names into untraceable, three-letter internet names. They don’t stand for anything, though suggestions are welcome.

Goa is a city in India. Goa herself is a proud Indian. It fits, and it’s what started the three-letter, vowel-heavy tradition of 5 nicknames.

5 is our 5-girl clique. We have a name for it that’s made up of the first letters of our last names, but here 5 works just fine. Call me lazy.

Ex is… Roi’s ex. The nickname fits him, since it’s only his status as Roi’s ex that makes him even remotely noticeable to 5 or worth mentioning here. His nickname might change to Turtle soon – the result of a 5 inside joke that would be pointless to try to explain. It would also make clique-related nicknames kind of a requirement, given that he’s good friends with Duckie (also Ex’s Friend, who really doesn’t warrant a nickname yet). Duckie is another nick-nickname, and also really fits, if you know him.

The Senior Boys are… a group of senior IB boys we hang out with. They’ve never needed specific nicknames, so they just go by SB#1, SB#2, etc. with the exception of Tilapia, which is a personal joke between me and him, and really doesn’t warrant any explanation – I’m a little sadistic at times, is all.

My nickname, Sal, is taken from J.D. Salinger. Why? Because The Catcher In The Rye is the be-all-and-end-all of teen-angst literature, and I’m writing a blog about being in IB. Try and tell me it doesn’t fit.

No comments: