Saturday, June 23, 2007

IBers And The Games We Play

One of the best reasons to join IB is the people you'll be forced to spend your entire day with. We're quirky, nerdy, neurotic, and one big intellectual family.
One of the games we play, which is a good demonstration of how an "IB-type" personality manifests in ways besides just being book-smart, is 1000 Blank White Cards. The point of the game is - well, there isn't really one. The general concept is, everybody makes up cards to play on each other, themselves, or that can affect the entire table. The cards consist of a title, a silly drawing, and a point value or other action. If this sounds like a complete waste of time and you can't possibly imagine how it could ever be fun, then you may be a little too normal for us.
A few nights ago, Roi and I met up with four of the senior boys at Starbucks to play. Below are some of the highlights from the game. There were too many good ones to post all of them here, but since it's summer vacation and I have nothing else IB-related to talk about, you'll probably get to see them all.
Also, since I talk about the senior boys enough now, they all have their own nicknames. There's Tilapia, who works at Starbucks, Nigiri (named after a cut of sushi in keeping with the fish theme) was in mock trial with me, Jono has known me since I was in 2nd grade, and (another one who hasn't picked a nickname yet) is so awesomely Asian, he gives me free pocky from his job.

Tilapia made this one. It really needs no explanation.
Nigiri drew this. The colors change halfway through because I didn't want the purple pen and made him trade me. Ah, the joys of being an empowered woman.

I made this one and it is by far one of my favorite cards, ever.

Jono made this one. The utter randomness of it makes me laugh every time I look at it; as does the contrast between the caption and the dog's expression. Is it me, or is everything funnier without punctuation? (Case in point: this guy)

Tilapia made this card, which upset Jono because " 'go to hell' is not a valid card action!" so I think he awarded bonus points for people who got the reference. (I have never played a game of 1000BWC where points were actually tallied afterward. The game is such anarchy that it would almost defeat the purpose.)

No comments: