Thursday, October 18, 2007

IB Word Games




I'm not entirely sure how I should go about explaining these. The short version is: We were bored.
Long version: My calc class is combined into AB and BC. Two classes, one teacher. IB kids find creative enough ways to get into trouble when the teacher is constantly paying attention - now imagine what it's like when you put together juniors and seniors who've know each other for years now, into a last-hour class, and add one overworked and distracted teacher. The lassiez-faire classroom management means that, well, lots of "stuff" goes down in calc class. It's the red-light district of IB classes. (Last year there was penny melting, mace spraying, hand-sanitizer burning, and general mischief and mayhem.) Now I don't mean for this blog to get Calc Teacher in trouble. It's not that she condones any of this or that she sucks at keeping us under control. We're just all nuts and she can only deal with one class for about 1/3 of the time (the other 2/3 spent with the other class or at her desk doing teacher stuff). And, to her credit, HS has really high math scores and to my knowledge there have been no fatalities as a direct result of her class.

Anyway, if the class is that self-determined when she's around, we're a million times worse when we have a sub. (I have a suspicion that her sub notes said something like "pass out worksheet, then duck and cover"). On the last sub day, we got bored translating words into as many languages as possible (I think our record was "water" - we got it in 17 different languages just from one classroom of IB kids) and noticed someone had already messed with the Objectives board. Every day CT writes "Obj.: I will" and then whatever we're doing. The board said:

Obj: I will do well on the test. We changed this to "I will do sucky. Welcome to the test." (the idea was to change as little as possible about the original sentence but change the meaning completely - here all we changed was the "l on" to "come to"). I like the ominous sound of it.

Obj: I will graph f, f' and f" We changed this to "I will graph fluffy fish". Then it was whimsically illustrated but my only photos of that have people's faces in them.
Obj: I i t t ti tit ti ...some comedian erased all the Calc AB objective to be nonsensical and presumably sexual (this was the origin of the "let's mess with the objectives board" because my friends and I felt it needed to be fixed). We managed to change it to "Objects will not rest until" but couldn't figure out a word that had "tit_ti". Frenchie commented that he was "pretty sure that some objects do rest until titti" and offered an example; we declined. Goa walked by (she was off doing her worksheet or something dumb) and said it was "substitution". We all felt dumb, then finished the sentenced with "institutionalization of sock".
The head and hand in the second photo belong to Rubix.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

yeahhhh, ib kids.

you forgot to mention the part that said "no student has the right to disrupt anyone else's learning," or something along those lines. also, how someone perverted it, and then i corrected it, and then red/white/pink haired kid changed it to something slightly less perverted than the first alteration.

hahaha.

Anonymous said...

what ended up being our sentence that contained all letters of the alphabet?
we need to send that in for the records.

Companionable Ills said...

"just serve eight pizzas while quietly fixing mock bread" I think.